This SSR Backgrounder addresses the importance of Security Sector Governance and Reform for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda, its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their promise to leave no one behind. It focuses on SDG 16, which calls for peaceful, just, and inclusive societies, highlighting the role of security and justice institutions for sustainable development. The aims and principles of SSG/R are reflected in different targets of SDG 16 and can further be linked to other SDGs – for instance, on gender equality, sustainable cities, and global partnerships. This SSR Backgrounder provides an overview of these linkages and of national and local implementation of the SDGs, as well as the global review process.
This SSR Backgrounder answers the following questions:
- What is the 2030 Agenda with its Sustainable Development Goals?
- Why is good SSG important for the achievement of the 2030 Agenda?
- What security targets are included in SDG 16?
- How does good SSG contribute to the achievement of SDG 16?
- How does good SSG relate to other SDGs in the 2030 Agenda?
- Why is local ownership of SSG/R central to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda?
- How is progress on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda reviewed?